Monday, September 3, 2007

Keeping Ladybugs in the Classroom

Hello everyone!

Susan,
I am sorry that I was not able to participate on the blog as I had intended. But I did want to share our groups "ladybug care and feeding tips." ....

The children create a habitat using a large goldfish bowl, a layer of soil, a plant and anything else they think is appropriate.
Get several raisins.( Guess raisins taste like aphids. Yum!) Soak them in water for about 5 minutes. Then blot them dry on a paper towel and cut them in half and place them in the habitat in a feeding dish made from a jar lid.We also provide water on a sponge.

To keep the ladybugs from escaping we place a piece of nylon pantyhose over the top of the bowl and secure it with a rubber band.
You can observe and investigate them for about a week.
Then set them free to "fly away home".
Probably that will be MY home since we always get tons of ladybugs hibernating in the cracks between the logs on my house.

Hope everyone has a wonderful school year!

~Hope

4 comments:

Susan Silverman said...

Hope,
Thank you so much for your clever feeding tips.
The good news is that our blog is going to continue throughout the fall so please share some more!

Anonymous said...

Awesome!
Ladybugs are very active during the fall and the children always find them in our garden. So I am sure we will be able to share!
As always.. I have learned something new just by being here for 5 minutes! I have downloaded the CAST "create a book" . How COOL is that? THANK YOU!
~Hope

Hope said...

Hi Susan!
I am not surprised that after being here only 5 minutes.. I learned something new!
The CAST digiatl book builder is AWESOME!
Can't wait to use it in class!
The children always find ladybugs in the garden this time of year.So I am sure we will be able to contribute to the blog :)

~Hope

dandrews said...

Hi Susan,
I have received so many great ideas to use in the K-2 lab! I just finished our 4 week unit on ladybugs! I bought a ladybug larva kit and now they have all turned into ladybugs! Since the lab has an ACTIVboard, I have spent time creating a K-2 all subject flipchart on Ladybugs. The kids loved our ladybug learning! I am going to download the CAST to create a book for my 2nd graders. My K-1 groups have created many drawings on Kidpix and creative writings using their weekly vocabulary. Hopefully, I will have everything submitted by next week.